Must Buy Items for Horse CareSeptember 3rd, 2011 at 0:54
Horses make a great pet and help with many of the day to day tasks of running a farm. Keep in mind, however, that they do require a lot of care and the upkeep can be quite expensive. If you are planning on purchasing your first horse there are some items that you must have on hand first. In addition to the items listed below it is important that you have a proper area to keep your horse. There must be enough space and a shelter. Also, you need to have a horse veterinarian picked out and a farrier in case an emergency where to arise. After taking care of those responsibilities it is time to purchase these must have essentials.
1. First Aid Kit: It is important to have a first aid kit handy when caring for a horse. There are many things that could happen quickly. The kit should include vet wrap, bandages, bandage scissors, and iodine. It is a good idea to keep your veterinarian’s phone number in the kit so that you have it handy in an emergency case.
2. Grooming essentials: Horses need to be groomed often. Make sure that you have a variety of combs and brushes on hand to detangle the hair and remove any debris that accumulates in the mane or tail. Also, don’t forget to add in a hoof pick for cleaning out the horses hooves.
3. Comfort items for the horse: A horse needs to be kept comfortable no matter what the weather is doing outside. Have a few winter blankets for warmth. Also, in the warm months you will need fly repellent to keep them from creating open sores on the horses’ face, legs, and ears.
4. Leading or Riding supplies: If you plan you ride your horse you will need a saddle and stirrups. Even if your horse is not able to be ridden you will still need a bridle, bit, and lead rope in order to transfer the horse from one area to another. Make sure to properly size these items to ensure comfort for the horse and safety for you.
5. A knowledge book: If you are new to horse ownership you should purchase a book with all the needed information about raising a horse. This will be a good way to find answers to questions that arise and to learn new things.
Take your time to select the best items for your horse. Owning a horse is a big responsibility and is not something that should be rushed into to. If you have the must have items for horses available when you bring your horse home you will be able to provide the best care possible.